Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Letter to John Pointing, Detective Superintendent of the Queensland Police, State Drug & Property Crime Group

To John Pointing, Detective Superintendent, State Drug & Property Crime Group, Queensland.

Goodmorning John,

I gather from a phone call to Detective Geoff Davies this morning (also of the State Drug & Property Crime Group), that you are now in charge of investigating the supply and export of around $40,000 worth of marijuana, from Queensland, in 2004. As you (and rest of the nation), are well aware, these drugs were found in Schapelle Corby's boogie board bag when she alighted at Bali Airport. Schapelle began her journey in Queensland, and was a resident of Queensland.

There are many disturbing aspects to this case, and I also strongly suggest you bring in some type of internal investigator (vis a vis police corruption).

From the outset, it should have been apparent to any reasonable law enforcement agency that two crimes had also been committed in this country, e.g. export and supply. That amount of marijuana doesn't just hang around on street corners, there was obviously a significant supplier involved. I believe the non-investigation of this supplier points to significant police corruption at the time.

From the very beginning, all involved law enforcement agencies in this country should have been co-operating with the Indonesian police to solve the two crimes that had been committed here. This should not have been too hard. I believe there very cordial links, including training and exchange with Australia. General Pastika is even a personal friend of ex-AFP Chief Mick Keelty.

Schapelle's luggage should have been weighed at Bali Airport. This would have determined whether or not the drugs were placed in her luggage BEFORE check-in at Brisbane Airport, or AFTER check-in. The complete failure of the Indonesian Police to do this (see Sat March 5 2005), and the complete failure of the Australian Police to advocate for (and co-operate with), the Indonesian Police on this absolutely basic point is breath taking. The same goes for the complete failure to test the haul for finger prints and DNA (see Sat March 5 2005), because without question, this should have been a joint Australian/Indonesian investigation. Obviously, if Schapelle's finger prints and DNA were present within the bag containing the drugs, it would have very firmly pointed to her guilt. On the other hand, if Schapelle wasn't involved, this crucial physical evidence would (very likely), have nabbed career criminals within Australia. Further still, Schapelle begged for this testing, only to be met with a wall of lies (on this crucial point), from the highest levels. This crucial evidence was then burnt, without a shred of protest from the Australian police (see Tues 12 Oct 2004).

Obviously, the complete failure of all police forces to carry out these two very basic investigations (luggage weight and fingerprints/DNA), would have strongly protected any corrupt insiders, and prevented their detection.

It's also absolutely basic that the place where Schapelle packed her bags should have been investigated and searched by police, as well as the place she slept the night before she flew. I believe neither of these investigations were carried out by the Queensland Police (see page 22 of Tony Wilson's book). Further still, Schapelle's banking and phone records should have been thoroughly investigated. If they were not investigated, I regard this as a gross dereliction of normal police process, and if they were investigated (and came up clean), this is crucial evidence that should have been made public at her trial. It was not.

Further still, Brisbane Domestic Terminal, Sydney Domestic Terminal and Sydney International Airport were all official crime scenes relating to the supply and export of $40,000 worth of marijuana. All relevant CCTV should have been preserved immediately. Every single frame disappeared without trace, and this was also while another major crime sting was underway at Sydney Airport, same hour and same terminal. I believe the police officer who was in charge of that operation (Mark Standen), is now on remand in prison, awaiting trial on a 120 million dollar drug charges.

Now time is running out, Schapelle could die any day. It's time for the Queensland Police to stop passing the hot potato, and do the job they're paid to do. It should have been done 6 years ago.

Regards, Kim

Update, 1.58pm, Monday 29th March 2010

I rang Roma Street Police HQ (Qld), and asked to speak to Detective Superintendent John Pointing. Very efficiently and quickly, I was put through to his office. "Bev" picked up the phone, and told me he was in a meeting. I asked what time he would be free, but Bev didn't know. I thanked her, and gave her my phone number. She said she's pass it on to him, and ask him to call me.

Update, 2.18pm, Tuesday 30th March 2010

I rang Roma Street Police HQ (Qld), and asked to speak to Detective Superintendent John Pointing. Very efficiently and quickly, I was put through to his office. "Bev" picked up the phone, and told me he was not in the office. I asked when he would be, but Bev didn't know. I thanked her, and gave her my phone number again. She said she's pass it on to him (marked "Urgent"), and ask him to call me. I pointed out that I was expecting John Pointing to call me back yesterday, but he did not.

Update, 1.40pm, Wednesday 31st March 2010

I rang Roma Street Police HQ (Qld), and asked to speak to Detective Superintendent John Pointing. Very efficiently and quickly, I was put through to his office. I was told he was not at his desk, and not answering his phone, and the lady I spoke to offered to take a message for me. I thanked her, and said that John already had my full contact details, but had not been in touch, despite several previous messages. I told her to tell John I was now forwarding this issue/crime complaint to Neil Roberts, the Queensland Police Minister