Sunday, March 28, 2010

Little people making a difference . . .
















Here's the very sorry saga of trying to report a major crime to the Australian Federal Police . . .




But this morning, around 11.30 am (Qld time), on Monday 29th March 2010, I spoke to a Ms. Robyn Eisman, radio dispatcher in the AFP's Communication Centre at Winchester, and she put in a formal crime report on my behalf.

So, how an earth did I end up speaking to Ms. Robyn Eisman, AFP radio dispatcher, when I rang the AFP's National Switchboard in Canberra, and asked to speak to big boss Roman Quadvlieg? Well, I simply rang Canberra, asked to speak to Roman, gave my full name, and found myself listening to music for about 10 minutes (that was probably while he was desperately figuring out a way to avoid me). Next thing I knew, and without any warning, I was speaking to Ms. Robyn Eisman, radio dispatcher in the Communications Centre. She was as confused as I was as to how and why I'd ended up speaking to her. However, the Universe has a way of finding balance and justice, and had obviously led me to the right person.

I explained the background to Robyn, and she was as horrified as me. Yes, she said, export of $40,000 worth of marijuana is definitely a Federal crime, and definitely needs to be reported and investigated. She asked for my full name and contact details, which I provided without hesitation. She then completed an "Information Report," formal number 963 583, and put it into the system. That "Information Report" was based on the same details I gave Queensland police officer John Pointing. She said that once it's in the system they "Can't make it go away." At that point, I must admit, I got a bit teary. Such blazing humanity and integrity was (and is), a huge reminder that there are excellent people in our police, people that desperately need the support and protection of the whole community.

After thanking Robyn, I put the phone down, and rang the AFP's Canberra HQ again, to find out what was going on. Why had I been put on hold for 10 minutes when I'd asked for Roman Quadvlieg, then (without warning or explanation), been put through to the AFP's Communication Centre at Winchester? That was easy to figure out. When Roman found out who was calling (me), he refused to take my call, or even allow it through to his office (so I could speak to his secretary). He directed the good ladies on the switchboard to simply transfer me through to the AFP's Communications Centre at Winchester. So I asked the good ladies on the switchboard (who are brilliant, and simply doing their job in difficult circumstances), to relay a message to Roman for me. They said they would. I gave them the crime reference number Robyn had given me, and told them to tell Roman I would be blogging about his disgracefully unprofessional behaviour, and circulating the information to the World.

And the next step? I'll phone Roman again tomorrow, to find out what he's doing with Ms. Robyn Eisman's crime report. As she said, it's in the system now, they can't make it go away.