Sunday, May 30, 2010

Schapelle Corby & Useless, Toothless Dogs of Shame?





























This is Professor John McMillan, the current Commonwealth Ombudsman. His organisation is empowered to take complaints about the Australian Federal Police, and to make appropriate recommendations as a result. However, Al Wilson, who's been dealing with John's organisation for some time re Schapelle's problems, is not very happy with the service, and he's expressed his problems in a song that's equal to the best of Bob Dylan.

So shall we try again John, and see how we go this time? I want to make a formal complaint to you about the Australian Federal Police, and their failure to act on a legitimate crime report (related to the allegations against Schapelle), or even reply to it. I also wish to formally complain about their neglect of basic procedures in relation to three Australian crimes associated with the allegations against Schapelle, e.g., export of $40,000 worth of marijuana though an Australian airport, cultivation/production of $40,000 worth of marijuana and supply of $40,000 worth of marijuana. Personally, I'm not sure if the latter two matters are strictly "Federal," but the Queensland Police Minister assures me that they are, and has yet to respond to my written request for further clarification.

This is the formal crime report that no-one in the Australian Federal Police would take from me (read the sorry saga, it's a disgrace). Currently (as per my very last phone call to the AFP), Tony Negus is formally refusing to respond to that document, and says it's Brendan O'Connor's responsibility - and Brendan O'Connor is hiding.

Now, the Queensland Crime & Misconduct Commission has already formally refused to investigate these matters, and this refusal is currently the subject of my formal complaint to The Queensland Parliamentary Crime & Misconduct Committee. I'm also hoping those formal actions will clarify (once and for all), which police force has jurisdiction of which crimes.

To continue, these 29 core questions go to the heart of the police competency (and integrity), re the original investigation (or non-investigation), of those three Australian crimes - so will you please seek out the answers on my behalf, and report/recommend as appropriate. Tony Negus and Brendan O'Connor are currently in receipt of those questions too, but they've completely failed to answer to them, or give me any indication of when (0r if), they will.

Further still, I have already reported these matters to ACLEI, but as I'm very unhappy with the current attitude of the officer I'm dealing with there, I've taken all the issues directly to ACLEI Chief Philip Moss (including the bluntly unhelpful stance of his employee). I've yet to hear back from Philip.

I assume there's nothing that formally precludes you from running an investigation along side ACLEI? That is (of course), if ACLEI agree to an investigation. If they don't, my current complaints to you will broaden to include them as well.


And to sum up, it's beyond dispute that Schapelle's human rights were (and continue to be), severely breached - and all of this official correspondence is an increasingly thick dossier that can (and will be), presented to appropriate international bodies. It may be advisable to bear that in mind when replying.

I'll phone you ASAP, to get some initial feedback and information on this complaint.

Regards, Kim

Addit to the above, Monday 31st May 2010

Rang the Ombudsman around 1.47pm, and spoke to "Luke." He was extremely polite, professional and conscientious - and formally confirmed that the communication above was received. He then spent some considerable time with me, while I explained and confirmed the details (at his request). Luke also conferred with his supervisor during our call. He also gave me a reference number for my complaint, 2010 - 108 419. He said that I would receive follow-up from the Ombudsman within 7 to 10 working days, via email (as I told him, when he asked, that it would be the best method). Therefore, if I've heard nothing back by close of business on Tuesday 15th June 2010, I'll get in touch again (the next morning).

Addit to the above, Thursday 17th June 2010

Rang the Ombudsman around 3.55 pm, and spoke to Margot. She said a letter had been sent to me on the 15th June 2010, which I haven't received as yet. I'll post it here as soon as I get it.