Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Schapelle Corby - Asking The Information Commissioner For Help, Re Basic Public Data

















Click on the picture above to enlarge & read.

Dear John,

In November 2011 I made this FOI request to the Australian Federal Police (investigating whether or not an illicit flow of marijuana FROM Australia TO Indonesia has ever existed), and I've just received this point blank refusal from them, so I'm formally writing to you now to appeal that decision.

At no time (that I am aware of), did their FOI officer phone me to discuss this fairly straightforward matter. Briefly, I am seeking public information relating to the commercial, criminal smuggling of marijuana FROM Australia, TO Indonesia (if such an illicit flow exists, and the press quotes above seem to indicate it doesn't) - such as data relating to arrests for this crime, staff training materials relating to detecting this crime, and formal inquiries/investigations into this crime.

Now this shouldn't be be too difficult, as I believe this is exactly the kind of information routinely collated and collected by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

Further, if no such data exists (which it may not, because smuggling marijuana FROM Australia, TO Indonesia is not an economic proposition, and never has been), then I expect the AFP to tell me that in writing - and not wilfully avoid that obvious point by saying, in the 21st century, it's "Too difficult" for them to access information (re international trends in drug crime), which is routinely collated and collected by the United Nations.

Or maybe, considering the circumstances, it's just too embarrassing for them to put that obvious point in writing?

I look forward to your reply.

Regards, Kim