Current petition for Schapelle here, please sign and distribute.
It's really wonderful to see in you in Australia at the International Justice Conference, and I note your message. I'd be there to shake your hand - but I live on the other side of the country.
I'm writing to you about two major and very shameful omissions from the panel - Schapelle Corby and Mercedes Corby. It's Australia's dirty little secret, and one of the most high-profile court cases the nation has ever witnessed. The fascination never dies.
Schapelle can't come because she's dying in a Bali hell for a crime she didn't commit - sentenced to 20 years in October 2004, for possession of 4.2 kilos of marijuana that wasn't hers, found in her luggage on arrival in that country (after flying there from Australia). And Mercedes Corby (Schapelle's sister), can't come as the "Great and Good" of this country have deliberately excluded her, because she carries a dangerous truth. In fact, the truth is so dangerous, not a single corporate news outlet has reported the damning new evidence that proves Schapelle's innocence beyond a shadow of doubt. Though admittedly, Australia's media is the most narrowly owned in the World - Fairfax and Murdoch control most of the game.
Lindy Chamberlain knows all about it, because she spoke out once. And the similarities don't end there. Baby killing dingoes aren't good for business, as Lindy's ex-husband Michael forcefully pointed out - and in Schapelle's case, drug-smuggling QANTAS baggage handlers are extremely bad for the national airline, and the Australian Government.
Please take the time to watch this damning new documentary - then consider these facts . . .
- A short preamble . . .
- Most of the Bali bombers who killed and maimed hundreds in 2002 are already free.
- A drug dealing Bali prison boss got just 4 years.
- Schapelle sentence for 4.2 kilos of marijuana was unprecedented in Indonesia, and hugely exceeded all previous terms for similar (or more serious), drug offences.
- Her trial in Bali did not conform to either Indonesian Law, or United Nations standards.
- Schapelle had no criminal record, and tested negative for all drugs.
- Schapelle had no criminal profile.
- The Australian police completely failed (without explanation), to investigate whether or not Schapelle had any drug connections in Australia. They did not search her home (or vehicle), nor did they investigate her phone and banking records. When directly confronted with this, all Government ministers avoided the question and shifted the blame.
- Other innocent Australian tourists to Bali nearly found themselves in the same predicament as Schapelle.
- It was well known that criminal baggage handlers were regularly using innocent airline passengers as unwitting drug mules to ferry drugs between domestic airports - as more fully explained by the former Head of Internal Investigations for the Australian Federal Police (Ray Cooper), here. Further, Schapelle flew on the 8 October 2004 - and the same baggage handlers who "Dealt" with her luggage used another innocent passenger as an unwitting drug mule on the same day.
- The notion of Schapelle successfully smuggling 4.2 kilos of relatively unconcealed, stinking marijuana through three Australian airports is completely bizarre.
- Information about criminal baggage handler Camilleri was deliberately withheld from Schapelle during her trial.
- When criminal Qantas baggage handler "Tom" threatened to blow the whistle on corrupt police, he was rewarded with $1.6 million of public money, and an all expenses paid trip to Switzerland, carrying the proceeds of 3 kilos of cocaine. After this, none of the police he threatened to name were ever investigated, and none of the other Qantas baggage handlers were ever arrested or charged, despite the huge corrupt payments they received.
- Schapelle's bag was deliberately diverted from the required x-ray screening (after check-in), by corrupt insiders. The Australian Government knew this at the time of Schapelle's trial, but deliberately withheld the information from her. Crucial information about the weight of her luggage after check-in was also withheld.
- Bali custom officers refused to weigh her bag on arrival, to compare it with her Brisbane check-in weight.
- Although Schapelle begged for forensic testing of the physical evidence, this was refused without explanation, and every shred was burnt. This was despite key statements from an Australian forensic plant expert, who said samples could be successfully tested years later, if necessary. And inexplicably, the Australian police failed to use the correct and accepted legal channels to facilitate this vital testing - as more fully explained here.
- Every frame of CCTV from Bali Airport relating to Schapelle's arrest and interrogation was destroyed without explanation.
- In essence, Schapelle was "Verballed" by Indonesian officials who did not even speak English.
- Schapelle was also convicted of "Trafficking" without a shred of evidence to support this charge.
- Schapelle's mental health is now very dangerously compromised, and she is routinely abused by her captors.
So Rubin, I hope you can speak to the event organisers (and other participants), about this crucial omission - because I certainly will be.
Warm regards, Kim